Wednesday, October 01, 2014

Grain Free Garlic Rosemary Flat Bread

So I was sitting at home... wondering what I should do, when I smelled supper baking in the crockpot. You see, my sister-in-law was making a roast, which got my brain a whirring. I searched Pinterest for a good 30 min before I found what I was looking for. Flat bread. Yup. This was my first attempt and I must say I was thoroughly pleased with it.

Grain Free Rosemary Garlic Flat bread (Paleo, nut free)

1 c.      Tapioca Flour
1/4 c.   Coconut flour, sifted (I had my doubts, but after doing this, I noticed it made a huge difference)
1/2 t.    unrefined sea salt
1/2 c.   full fat coconut milk
1/4 c.   ghee or coconut oil (I used coconut oil in my recipe, but next time I think I will use ghee... I found it tasted too coconuty for me)
1          egg, beaten
1 t.       finely chopped fresh rosemary (its autumn... I used dried)
1-2 t.    finely chopped garlic, depending on your love for garlic (I used a powder garlic, and I would use a little bit less next time. All of the brown on top, yup that's garlic. I went a little overboard)
olive oil & extra salt for garnish (I used a wild mushroom and sage infused olive oil.... oh my goodness delicious!)

1. Preheat oven to 450 F and place a pizza stone, cast iron skillet, or very thick pizza pan into oven to heat up.
2. Gently heat up coconut milk and ghee in small sauce pan until very warm but not boiling.
3. Combine tapioca flour, sifted coconut flour, and salt in a large bowl. Pour the coconut/ghee mixture on top. Mix until thoroughly combined. Allow to sit for a couple of minutes to cool and for the coconut flour to absorb. (I got impatient and put it in the fridge for a few minutes).
4. Add beaten egg and mix again until fully combined.
5. CAREFULLY remove hot stone/pan from the oven, cover with parchment paper, and pour mixture into the center. I used a spatula to spread the dough until it was about 1/4 inch thick. The previous recipe recommended that you could also prepare your flat bread on a cutting board lined with parchment paper and then carefully slide it onto your hot stone in the oven.) Sprinkle with rosemary and garlic.
6. Bake for 9-12 minutes, depending on how crispy you like it. Garnish with olive oil and sea salt. Enjoy!

I got this amazing recipe from this wonderful blog: 

No comments: