Friday, May 10, 2013

Moving Out, and Moving On


Alright, so I originally named this blog A Girl's Step Up because I wanted to move on from the past. Take the few steps needed to get out of the the garbage dump that had become my life. That was when I went to school... and after college I moved back home, I, for the sole purpose of assisting others, willingly jumped back into the mire. I felt God call me to be at home, and it was a learning process that I in turn was blessed by. The time came though, when my dad was released from prison into a halfway house an hour from where I lived with my mom and brother, that I knew it was time to move out and move on.

So what does that mean? Move out and move on. Sounds so final. So unforgiving. It wasn't that at all. I love my family, and even though they put me through hell, and have scarred me for life with issues that I will have to work through, I would move mountains for them.

In reality, all I mean by that statement is leaving the past in the past. Not allowing it to decide our future. My situation could have a double meaning as I did move out of my parents house, and am now living on my own, which I recommend for everyone to do before they decide to get married. I am also moving out of the mind set of accepting my life for what it was, and not actively pursuing a change. I had no idea the amount of damage I had hidden in my heart until I was forced to confront it. A really important person in my life pulled me aside and told me that they had to actively restrain themselves from getting mad at those in my family for the way they treat each other and me. I had no idea there was a better option. I didn't know my family could have tackled life differently.

I had grown up with the thought that people showed love through their love language (whatever that may be) and that they couldn't really change that. This person kindly, but forcefully showed me that I wasn't being met, I wasn't being filled because no one in my family was giving love to me in my love language. They were too caught up in accepting the love that they received to notice that they weren't returning the favor of stepping out of their comfort zone, and perhaps showing love in a way that was different for them.
The transition between Spring & Summer - reminding me that
when we move on, we get to see more beauty. Spring
is more than just cleaning, it is also a glimpse at the beauty
to come. 

This wasn't an easy process, and it can't say that my eyes stayed dry, or have been completely dry for weeks now. I decided to get a counselor, which has been so helpful! I have never been so challenged spiritually, emotionally, & relationally, as I have been the last few weeks working through issues that have plagued me my whole life.

I have been learning all over again that I really do need to give everything to God, and trust in Him. I need to find my encouragement in Him and to do that I need to work through the past and look to the future. As I am working through these issues, such as boundaries and abandonment, I am discovering more of who I am as a person, and what I want my future to look like. This verse really impacted me earlier when I read it, and I just wanted to share it with you guys.
"Finally, be strong in the Lord and in the strength of His might. Put on the full armor of God, so that you will be able to stand firm against the schemes of the devil. For our struggle is not against flesh and blood, but against the rulers, against the powers, against the world forces of this darkness, against the spiritual forces of wickedness in the heavenly places. Therefore, take up the full armor of God, so that you will be able to resist in the evil day, and having done everything, to stand firm. Stand firm therefore, having girded your loins with truth, and having put on the breastplate of righteousness, and having shod your feet with the preparation of the gospel of peace; in addition to all, taking up the shield of faith with which you will be able to extinguish all the flaming arrows of the evil one. And take the helmet of salvation, and the sword of the Spirit, which is the word of God.With all prayer and petition pray at all times in the Spirit, and with this in view, be on the alert with all perseverance and petition for all the saints." - Ephesians 6:10-18

Satan will constantly strive to bring us down, to not let us MOVE ON, but we can't let him. We have to stand strong in God, and to do that we need to be prepared. So everyone, drop your past, your sins, your weights that are holding you back. See a counselor or someone that you can truly confide in if you need to, but you got to get rid of that extra baggage if you are going to be able to fight to the end, to finish the race strong.

Feelin' rejuvenated,
Not-So-Princess Lizzy

1 comment:

Sarah McBride said...

Melanie, I am so glad you are allowing yourself to heal and talk things out :) Praying for you!! <3